Thursday, July 09, 2015

The Latest from Holla Back World

The Latest from Holla Back World


Mari’s story: “what are you staring at?”

Posted: 08 Jul 2015 05:41 PM PDT

I was walking to work this morning and found a run in my tights. My side of the street was fairly empty so I walked into an isolated area and took off my tights and saw this man (in his late 40s) continue to stare at me as he walked past. He did this multiple times until I asked “what are you staring at?” He stopped his walk, turned to me, and started aggressively gesturing towards me, angry that I had asked him why he was staring. I crossed the avenue and at the following intersection, saw that he was still staring and angrily gesturing and saying things to me, waiting for the light to change so he could accost me at the next intersection. I got so scared that I hailed a cab in the opposite direction of my job and ducked down in the seat until I arrived at my office and ran inside. This is my regular walking path to work and I am terrified of running into him or him following me.

I've got your back!
+

Helen’s Story: Photography to Pepper Spray

Posted: 08 Jul 2015 08:01 AM PDT

Was being touristy and taking a beautiful sunset pic (thoughts – our world is so beautiful!) When some guy touch my ass. Went after him with threats of police but he just laughed. Finally took out pepper spray and threatened him until he crossed the street. Wish I could’ve taken a pic to report him but I guess girls just walk with a guy at night. Ugh. Thank god I had my spray.

I've got your back!
3+

WIOS: Taking it to the streets edition

Posted: 06 Jul 2015 08:48 AM PDT

What’s up Hollaback!?

Milano_prideWith Emily and Debjani out of HQ this week, Rachel and the interns have been hard at work. To reward all of the fabulous HeartMob donors, the group diligently packaged thank you cards and gifts to be send around the world. The support for our new platform to combat online harassment is overwhelming. We are so excited to launch HeartMob soon!

At some of our global sites: 

Hollaback! Bmore Co-director Leah Mike hit the streets of Baltimore this week to educate street harassers and pedestrians on bystander intervention. Leah, nice work chalk_walk_Berlinconveying to men how important it is for them to be allies to street harassment victims!

Hollaback! Berlin held a chalk walk in Hamburg to empower victims of street harassment to take back the streets.

Hollaback! Duke is shaking up their campus norms by discussing with their student government the issue harassment of students on campus. They are also working to find solutions to eradicate the behavior.

Shout out to Hollaback! Italia for marching in Milano Pride this past weekend!

We’ve been killing it in the press this week with Hollaback! Vancouver’s Stacey publishing their piece on her personal accounts of street harassment in GUTS and more!

Can’t wait to keep the movement going this week…

Holla and Out!