Friday, July 10, 2015

The Latest from Holla Back World

The Latest from Holla Back World


Helen’s Story: Back again.

Posted: 09 Jul 2015 03:00 PM PDT

Back again. Literally like 2 days ago, I was groped by a creeper who made no effort to deny groping me, and motioned for me to KEEP WALKING IN FRONT OF HIM so that he could grope me again! Had to chase him off with pepper spray. I already posted that story though. Today I was on the back of a motorbike taxi and the driver reached around his arm to try and molest me. Screamed on top of my lungs and ran off as soon as he let me. Within 3 days. I’m so exhausted and terrified and feeling dirty and I just really really really hate men right now. And I know it’s not all men and whatever, but for fuck’s sake this is MY body and I can’t believe how many people don’t realize that.

I've got your back!
+

HOLLA ON THE GO: “Caught in a self-shaming spiral”

Posted: 09 Jul 2015 02:43 PM PDT

Keep your cool. Don’t let it get to you. Maybe my shorts are too short? Why am I letting this get to me? Is this my fault?

I am walking home today. The sun is glaring down and I am solely focused on crossing the street to my apartment two blocks away. A car whizzes by just as I’m about to reach safety on the other side of the crosswalk. “Let me honk that ass.” The phantom voice exists for only five seconds — full of disregard, degradation, disrespect.

I am disgusted. I immediately tell myself it’s not my fault. But then find myself uncontrollably catching my reflection in windows I pass with shaming thoughts, “Should I not wear these shorts anymore?”

I hate that I’m left with the fall-out of someone else’s contempt for decency. I’m alone in fighting for respect. I don’t have power in this interaction.

The last time this happened was about two weeks prior. I was biking. I hear a whistle from the sidewalk and my anger instinct kicks kick in “Fuck you!” I shout in his direction. His response to me: “Bitch!”
Recounting this interaction to my boyfriend, hoping to receive some comfort, he scorns me for acting with anger. “You’ll get raped standing up for yourself like that.”

I’m at a loss right now. I’m in some hypothetical danger if I do respond; caught in a self-shaming spiral if I don’t respond.

I've got your back!
1+

HOLLA ON THE GO: Poolside downsides.

Posted: 09 Jul 2015 02:30 PM PDT

My friend and I were at a bar by campus, playing pool. The table is right by the front windows. There were two men outside that were staring and making kissy faces at us. We ignored them, but they were outside for around 40 minutes.

I've got your back!
+

 

HOLLA ON THE GO: Bus Ride Violations

Posted: 09 Jul 2015 07:25 AM PDT

I’m 16 and I was on bus route 566 going towards Auburn. A man who looked around 35 sat by me, asked invasive questions about my personal life. He then started talking about my feet and asked to see them. Out of shock I let him then quickly put my shoe back on. He took his socks and shoes off, grabbed my shoe off and started rubbing his feet on mine and started moaning despite me saying I felt uncomfortable and trying to pull my feet away. Another man stepped in and he ran off at Bellevue TC

I've got your back!
5+