Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Holla Back Boston

Lower Allston

  • Posted: 16 May 2006 11:33 AM CDT

    When I lived in Lower Allston last summer, I'd have to ride the 66 bus home late at night after work since I was about a 20 minute walk from either T stop. One night, a group of us got off the bus around 11pm and were making our respective ways home when I noticed a large white SUV behind me on the road. At first, I didn't think anything, but it started to slowly creep along behind me, and I naturally got freaked out. The driver kept inching along, so I finally turned around and yelled, "Don't follow me!" I saw an older woman was walking ahead of me on the opposite side of the street, and I called up to her, "I'm coming over to walk with you. This asshole is following me." Confused, she yelled back as I walked quickly over to her, "What's wrong, honey?" By this point, the SUV was still crawling along, only now he had his headlights glaring in our faces. I caught up to the woman, who said, "You go ahead. It's ok. I've seen him before." Finally, the guy yelled, "I'm just parking." "That's a fucked up way to park, man!" I felt really weird about leaving the woman there, but there were still a few other people around, so I thanked her and hurried down my dim street with my mace open and ready. I made it home without incident, but I couldn't have been happier to move two months later. I hadn't felt very safe in that neighborhood before being followed, and after that, I was on edge any time I came home after dark.

No comments: